Tuesday 4 October 2011

IDW G.I.JOE and other stuff

Now you'll notice that I'm usually pretty behind on trends especially when it comes to comics and games. I usually buy comics when they come out in a collected volume and I don't buy games until they are on special or I get them as a gift. The reason being that my principal hobby takes up most of my time and money!

Anyway... I just finished reading IDW's Volume 1 G.I.JOE and Volume 1 G.I.JOE: Cobra comics and I have to say they are amazing. I never really had much of a connection to the original comics, instead I watched the cartoons and collected the toys. G.I.JOE is an amazing update to the cartoon in my opinion. It has a sci-fi feel and yet it's what I imagine a live action version of G.I.JOE would be actually like, with Joes dying and Cobra being a secretive and a realistic threat. This version of Cobra is very similar to that of G.I.JOE: Renegades, a cartoon I took a little while to get into but now I love it!

Just to go off topic for a sec and on the topic of G.I.JOE Renegades, I've ordered the figures from http://www.bigbadtoystore.com as well as the POC VAMP and POC Crimson HISS, just gonna let my pile of loot build up a little bit more and then I'll have them shipped.

Anyway... Of the two comics G.I.JOE: Cobra was my favorite and because of it Chuckles is now my favorite Joe. I have to get the G.I.JOE Attack on Cobra Island pack now! Hope I find a cheap one on eBay. This story is a very realistic story, well at least how I imagine a very realistic spy story might be.
It turns 'Chuckles' into an intriguing character who has a lot of depth and it provides an insight into just how difficult infiltrating a terrorist organization actually is. He has to make some very tough choices. Wish the Joe movie had been like this....

Out of all the character re-invented or re-imagined in the series Chuckles is the one that stands out the most in my opinion. However, Destro's origin story is pretty cool, I must say that I like all his origin stories including the ROC version at the beginning of the film. I can't wait to meet the Commander! Anyway.

Don't know if anyone is reading this, but either way I am really enjoying it for some reason. A couple of final things I finished Batman: Arkham Assylum last night and really enjoyed it particularly once I had all the Riddler Trophies thanks to a lot of help from Youtubes' OniBlackmage
When I get some more free time I'll play as the Joker.

CUSTOM UPDATES

Currently working on a Red Ghost and his Super Apes. I used a Smurf's Gargamel head the body from one of the Indiana Jone's and the temple of doom figures and a 'snow mission' or whatever coat and arms, I think it looks pretty good. I got a Gorilla Grod as the, well Gorilla and some hard plastic figures to represent the Apes including an anatomically correct Mandrill from Schleich.

For the Orangutan I wanted to make an articulated version so I got a Spidermonkey figure from Ben10 that I want to modify, I don't really want to cut up the Papo Orangutan which is hard plastic cause it costs a bit and I don't want to ruin the figure cause it looks cool. Anyway, I'll include photos at some point and then as per usual put them up on joecustoms. I got some pretty good feedback from my Cesspool and Che. Now I'm not big on making my figures look exactly like the original figure or character, rather I'm big on interpretation so I've added some reference pics for the Red Ghost and his super Apes, don't expect my ghost to be an exact representation.





You'll also see some pics of the hard plastic Apes I got on eBay, wait I think one is an Ape and the other is a Monkey? 

No comments:

Post a Comment