Thursday 17 November 2011

Behind the Times: IDW Cobra Civil War: G.I.JOE

 Hello all,

Don't actually 'click', got this from Amazon.
From time to time I will put up reviews, relating to products I have purchased including comics, action figures, games and movies even. Cause, well why not? I will call this section 'Behind the times' because, well I'm usually just that, I buy games when they're on special, I get all my figures from the U.S.A so that by the time they arrive here they have been reviewed to death all over the net. So here I will express my opinion relating to these items, as always I appreciate comments through my e-mail g.i.jac0001@gmail.com, at Google+ or post below.

Cobra Civil War: G.I.Joe:Volume 1

Just got and then read IDW's Cobra Civil War: G.I.Joe Volume 1 and unlike with the last set of comics I got from Amazon, which included the whole set of G.I.Joe: Cobra Volumes 1 to 4 and  G.I.Joe Volumes 1 to 5. I am a bit frustrated that I can't read on. You can read a bit more about them here.

I don't really like reading comics an issue at a time, I always wait and buy them when they are collected in volumes. So that I can read the whole story arc all at once. Again I know that I am behind the times here but hey where else am I gonna express my views on a comic book?

R.I.P-C.C.
Anyway, I didn't enjoy this as much as I enjoyed G.I.Joe: Cobra. However, there are some elements I enjoyed and there are some other elements that I didn't enjoy so much. I will list them all below, I don't know if I should write spoiler alert as, like I said before, most of you have read the comics already.

Likes:
-Blacklight's ambush of Stalker's Squad and his getaway in a trouble bubble
-Zartan's Raid of the PIT (Question: is Zartan African American now?)
-Zartan using Leatherneck's Defence Mech or what looks like one.
-Brainstorm's heroic sacrifice
-Mainframe's crush on Scarlett
-The panel on page 13 where the Crimson Guard are carrying the fallen Cobra Commander
-The fact that Storm Shadow works for a Japanese representative of Cobra and not the Commander (RIP) directly
-The way the crimson guard are used, not so much in this comic but more so in G.I.Joe: Cobra. Never really liked the identical accountant/lawyer deal.

Dislikes:
Don't like this guy
-Why is it called 'Cobra Civil War'? It should be more like 'The great Cobra Competition' or something! When I think civil war I expect IG's vs CG's
-The whole Duke got himself infected side story, well maybe we'll see airtight soon.
-Krake, not liking Krake or the way he massacred the Joe squad, oh and I'm no fan of BBQ so don't think it's that.
-The fact that Storm-Shadow and Jinx didn't have a showdown as depicted in the cover art

Anyways, I'm hoping that Cobra Civil War: Cobra Volume 1 and Cobra Civil War: Snake Eyes Volume 1 are better. Don't get me wrong it was very interesting and it was cool to see the Pit taken down as well as Zartan and Blacklight in action but I would actually like to see some Cobra infighting, not 80's cartoon squabbling but some real intrigue and outright  battles.

A lot of people are very negative about these comics, but I must say that I am enjoying them, I give this Volume 3/5 Behind the times. That's the best I could come up with, so for now that's the unit of measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment